This out-and-back trip requires no shuttle. The area carries the same name as the wild whitewater of the Peshtigo River, but these sections are within the flowage -- the areas of flat water controlled by dams. The rock formations and mirror-like water make for a scenic journey with very little shoreline development.
Afterwards, join us for a Saturday evening picnic at the Woods Lake shelter followed by a special astronomical event with Universe in the Park. (See right column for details)
High Falls Landing #6-#2 - June 16 ↵
We launch from a landing at one end of the High Falls pool and paddle to within safe viewing distance of the High Falls Dam, an impressive structure that tames this section of "the Pesh." We'll encounter a little more boat traffic on the second day, but the scenery is still stunning.
- Please let us know! Tap the button above to let us know to count you in. It helps us plan but doesn't commit you to the trip. You will register and pay your $10 per person at the launch (under 16 free with an adult).
- Make registration go faster. Fill out this online fillable form for the ACA Adult Waiver or ACA Minor Waiver in advance and bring it to the landing. This is a good time to become a member of NEWP for $10 per year plus $25 for ACA (American Canoe Association) membership.
- Plan to be SAFE. For the safety of all, ACA rules require you must wear your PFD (lifejacket) AT ALL TIMES when on the water and no alcohol during paddles, Bring water, sunscreen and select a paddle buddy.
- Questions? Email Dave at email@example.com.
We will paddle in rain, but will immediately get off the water if there is lightning. Check here at our webpage or on our Facebook page if the weather threatens to cancel the event. If you have pre-registered, check your email for updates.
Gov. Tommy Thompson State Park. Make your own camping reservations.
At a Glance
Friday campers and other early arrivals set up and join us for an optional Friday fish fry at Rene's Dining Room at W11581 County Road X, Crivitz, WI.
Arrive: Starting at 9 a.m., meet at Landing #13. [45°20'41.1"N 88°14'55.4"W] NO SHUTTLE!
Launch: 10 a.m., Landing #13. Restroom available.
Lunch: Landing #12. Restroom available.
Land: Landing #13, ETA 2 p.m.
* Rescue practice in the Landing #13 bay for those interested.
Challenges: Really, none. It's an easy paddle and moderate distance in a beautiful setting, unless windy conditions develop and generate waves.
JOIN US AFTERWARDS at the group shelter on Woods Lake in Governor Thompson State Park for a camp meal and social. We will bring burgers and brats to grill with buns and condiments to share. A small contribution (generally $5) is requested to offset cost. Potluck side dishes and desserts encouraged. Bring your own beverages! Stay after dinner for a special Universe in the Park program presented at no cost by the Department of Astronomy at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.
Launch: 10 a.m., Landing #6. Restrooms available.
Lunch: After paddle
Land: Landing #2, ETA Noon.
Challenges: Easy paddling and short distance. Just don't get too enthralled with the dam.
NEXT UP: Park-to-Park Paddle